Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Making Tiramisu - Life can be simple at times.

Met David to hang out in town but he had to accompany me to NUS to submit my  SEP documents. On our way to town, the bus past by the Thai Embassy and was having a bazaar so we alighted in order to visit it.


IMG_0529
Mango Sticky Rice ($5) and Soya Bean Drink ($1 each)









Contrary to my belief that mangoes sold in public are often sour, this mango is actually sweet. It is almost the same as what you can get in Thailand, I mean, how can get you go wrong with fresh mangoes on glutinous rice?
I must say the staff working at Topman in Orchard ION is very friendly.


IMG_0542
Olive vine, which was highly recommended by VB.

Actually we had tried this restaurant already but I did not do a review then.


IMG_0535
Cheese Fries ($5.50)


Olive vine's Cheese Fries is much better than what you can get in KFC, as the fries are firmer and crunchier than the latter. Thanks for the fries, VB.


IMG_0539
Deep Fried Fish Alfredo ($9.90)


I added pasta ($1.00) because I was hungry but I could not finish it. I gave it to David  as the pasta that he had was too fiery for his stomach. Being too creamy, I would not recommend it to people who do not like dairy products. For me, I feel it is a good combination. The fish, though common, was good (as are all fried food isn't it?).


IMG_0537
Fried Pork with rice, egg and curry. ($9.90)


IMG_0540
VB and David.


IMG_0541
Marvin and I.


The dinner was rather briefly organized at the last minute and only Tian shuo (with mabel) unable to make it while Jia jia had to work OT.


I had decided to bake Tiramisu! 
IMG_0543
The ingredients.


IMG_0548
No, that wasn't my hand but my sister's.


I am glad I heeded VB's advice not to buy the coffee alcohol because I found a substitute cognac in the kitchen. My sister was helping out because she is keen to bake. Technically, making a tiramisu does not constitute baking because only mixing is required.


IMG_0550
The 1st layer of ladyfingers - Not the vegetable that you're thinking of.


On hindsight, we could have dipped the ladyfingers  slightly longer time for a more moist and coffee taste.


IMG_0551
Covering the ladyfingers with a layer of mascarpone cheese mix.


Doesn't that remind you of brick laying? Ladyfingers = Bricks and Mascarpone cheese mix = concrete.
IMG_0555
2nd layer of ladyfingers!


I sprinkled some cocoa powder which was optional. Kudos to VB for insisting I buy the cheaper cocoa instead of going for the more expensive one since I'm making tiramisu for the first time. The cheaper cocoa (made in malaysia) tasted good.


IMG_0558
Final layering.


IMG_0560
Viola!








The surface was rather uneven but well, as long as it tastes good, I'm satisfied.
IMG_0561
Place it in the fridge for at least 4 hours before consumption!


Woke up this morning and tried it. Both my sister and I felt it was really good! Success! Below is the recipe:
  1. 250grams of Mascarpone Cheese
  2. 3 eggs
  3. 1 packet of Ladyfingers (not sure if Fairprice has them but I bought this in Carrefour)
  4. 2 Tablespoons of sugar
  5. 2 shot of Cognac
  6. 1 thick coffee (We made it from nescafe coffee)
  7. Some cocoa powder
  8. Muscles for mixing the ingredients (Optional: Electric Mixer)
Steps (My apologies if I sound like I am performing a chemistry experiment):
  1. Make a cup of thick coffee and allow it to cool to room temperature. Pour it into a plate to achieve a higher rate of cooling effect. Add 1 shot of cognac and some cocoa powder into the coffee.
  2. Separate egg whites and yolks.
  3. Beat egg yolks and sugar until it turns creamy yellow.
  4. Add marscarpone cheese, 1 shot of cognac and mix till well blended. Leave it aside.
  5. In a separate bowl, beat egg white until super fluffy.
  6. Fold beaten egg whites into the marscapone mixture. Ensure minimal mixing so that it is only sufficiently well-blended.
  7. Dip the ladyfingers sugar side up and place it into the dish sugar side down. Layer with 1/2 the amount of marscapone mix, leaving the rest for the next layer.
So what should my next creation be? I should try as much as I can before my internship starts next week and before school starts. Anyway, I signed up for Standard Chartered Marathon with Lloyd ($75/pax). Freaking expensive but I've heard good reviews from it so far, with Sundown Adidas being the worst. Hopefully I am able to finish it at a decent time. If only I can have Chee Kong's timing, that will be perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment